Job Title: Site Safety Officer
The Onni Group is a leading real estate firm based in Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada with offices in Toronto, Los Angeles and Chicago. This diverse company is vertically integrated with in-house departments responsible for execution of the company’s activities including property development, construction and management as well as leasing, sales and marketing.
There is an exciting opportunity for a talented professional to join the Construction team in Seattle as a Safety Manager. This role is responsible for the implementation and on-going maintenance of the safety management system for the 1120 Denny Project for Onni Contracting of Washington. This will involve the initiation and monitoring of all site safety programs, developing policies and procedures, liaising with external auditors, and overall planning and organizing of safety training. The role ensures regulatory compliance and that all managers, supervisors and employees receive the appropriate training and education to fulfil their roles safely. Reporting directly to this role are the site safety personnel.
The Site Safety Offices has the overall responsibility for the company’s Injury and Illness Prevention
Program and will be the primary person to deal with outside agencies regarding company safety
programs and their contents. The safety manager’s duties and responsibilities include:
- Overseeing the development, implementation, and maintenance of the company’s Injury and llness Prevention Program and other required safety programs designed to ensure compliance and enforcement of the applicable rules and regulations of all federal, state and local agencies.
- The monitoring and revision of company safety programs for their effectiveness in injury and
- illness prevention and to maintain compliance with the applicable rules and regulations of all
- federal, state and local agencies.
- Assisting with safety and health inspections and verifying that corrective action has been taken
- regarding hazards.
- Assisting in the investigation of all injuries and accidents to determine their cause and potential
- corrective action according to jurisdictional requirements.
- Reviewing all accident investigations to determine corrective action and verifying that corrective
- action has been taken according to jurisdictional requirements.
- Arranging all applicable management and supervisory training as required by the Injury and
- Illness Prevention Program.
- Maintaining a company commitment to accident prevention by expecting safe conduct on the
- part of all managers, supervisors and employees.
- Assigning responsibility to all levels of management, supervision and employees, and holding
- them accountable for accident prevention and safety.
- Consistently and fairly enforcing all company safety rules, regulations and policies.
- Monitoring and reporting budget and costs for the Injury and Illness Prevention Program for the purchase of necessary safety materials, safety equipment, proper personal protective equipment, adequate time for employee safety training, and maintenance of tools and equipment.
- Clarifying safety responsibilities from the contract documents and assuring that all individuals
- and subcontractors follow company safety policies.
- Daily safety walks and documentation.
- Liaise with colleagues and clients on the successful development of appropriate safety plans, hazard assessments, risk registries/critical risk protocols and audits.
- Determine compliance with legislation and relevant additional standards, policies and procedures
- Recommend corrective measures and follow through on their implementation
- Preparing and maintaining employee training schedules.
- Assisting with new employee orientation training.
- Preparing and updating the emergency response plan as necessary.
- Ensuring that records and postings required by WISHA / OSHA are kept up to date.
- Preparing weekly safety topics and ensuring that the weekly meetings are documented.
- Ordering safety equipment, safety supplies and first aid supplies and distributing them to
- managers, supervisors and employees as needed.
- Acting as a leader in company safety policy and setting a good example for all supervisors and
- Ensure that contractors and sub trades remain in compliance by maintaining their safe work practices to comply with OSHA/WISHA and Onni requirements and standards
- Coaching and assisting site personal to achieve a safe work place.
- Create and implement a Safety Reward program for the site in conjunction with Onni site management staff.
- Assist in the recruitment of new Safety employees as needed
- To aid in the centralization of all site inspections, weekly reports, and OSHA/WISH reports.
- Ensuring all records are complete and in conformance with OSHA/WISHA requirements.
- Review of critical hoisting and large equipment placement.
Summary of Qualifications & Requirements:
- Minimum 10 years of experience in a Safety role particularly with fall protection/working at heights, working on large scale project with multiple sub-trades
- Excellent verbal and written communications skills in English (Spanish is a plus)
- OSHA/WISHA 30HR Certification
- CPR and First Aid Certified
- Strong documentation capacity with the ability to meet stringent deadlines
Please note that we offer competitive pay, a comprehensive benefit package and programs to continuously develop and recognize employees.
All interested applicants please submit your resume and cover letter stating your salary expectations.
We thank all applicants for their interest; however only those selected for an interview will be contacted. No phone calls please.