Job Title: Director of Engineering
The Onni Group is a leading real estate firm based in Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada with offices in Toronto, Los Angeles and Chicago. This diverse company is vertically integrated with in-house departments responsible for execution of the company’s activities including property development, construction and management as well as leasing, sales and marketing.
There is an exciting opportunity to join a rapidly growing company that's unique in the industry. The Onni Group is active in Los Angeles and is poised to deliver 2,000 multifamily units in the years ahead. The Director of Engineering will provide a high level of property maintenance knowledge, and will be responsible for overseeing the in-house and third party engineers in the Los Angeles portfolio. This position has overall responsibility for maintaining the building, grounds and physical plant with particular attention towards safety, security and asset protection. Accountable for managing the budget, capital expenditure projects, preventative maintenance and energy conservation. Develops and implements strategies that will deliver products and services, which meet or exceed the needs and expectations of tenants while maximizing the financial performance. Responsible for maintaining standards and regulatory requirements. Leads the emergency response team for all facility issues.
- Responsible for ensuring that the building systems are operated in the most efficient and effective manner especially as it relates to utility consumption and environmental responsibility. Implement a systematic program to promote energy awareness and conservation within the facility. Champion energy conservation programs to achieve maximum results from tenants and staff.
- Develops and manages a plan and/or procedure for controlling, labeling, recording estimated life expectancy, maintenance and inspecting all capital and non-capital equipment within the facility. This plan includes a long-term engineering capital plan.
- Acquire and maintain knowledge and skills in order to perform the efficient operation of the Energy Management System, in order to ensure the system performance keeps operating costs as low as possible.
- Supervise the performing of Preventative Maintenance on all facility equipment as prescribed by manufacturer recommendations.
- Consistently review building and equipment operating logs, operation procedures, equipment operation manuals, PM program equipment histories, emergency and safety training materials, as often as necessary to stay proficient with changing conditions.
- Maintain an on-going self-improvement program to keep abreast of new equipment, standards, codes, and maintenance procedures.
- Hold regular site Engineering Department meetings, emergency and safety program training programs, inventory control programs, and property inspections.
- Develop and implement key inventory policy at all properties.
- Develop and implement permit tracking policy.
- Conduct Annual Reviews of the Engineering Staff.
- Ensure that all buildings in the portfolio are water tight and that the envelopes are within design criteria standards. Develop long term envelope management programs.
- Conduct periodic inspections in order to ascertain the performance of the Engineering staff.
- Provide high level oversight of the tenant improvements within the portfolio.
- Organize and maintain permanent files such as plans, municipal permits, consultant documents, and any other documents of historical significance in a clean and supportive environment.
- Provide support as requested by the Owners for supervising, advising or acquiring tasks associated with outside contractor projects.
Summary of Qualifications & Requirements:
- Prefer 7+ years progressive operations experience.
- Strong employee relation skills, coaching skills and training skills.
- As required, highest-level relevant state/local license for Stationary Engineer and/or HVAC, plus universal level refrigerant recovery license.
- BOMA accredited courses desirable.
- Preferred: High-rise Fire Safety Director, Haz-Mat Certification, Indoor Air Quality Certification, LEED Certification.
- Strong oral and written communication skills.
- Ability to work with MS Word, Excel, and Outlook.
- Computer skills and building automation systems experience required.
- Certification meeting OSHA ACM awareness training requirements as required.
- Working knowledge of energy conservation required, formal training preferred.
Please note that we offer competitive pay, a comprehensive benefit package and programs to continuously develop and recognize employees.
All interested applicants please submit your resume and cover letter stating your salary expectations.
We thank all applicants for their interest; however only those selected for an interview will be contacted. No phone calls please.