Job Title: Construction Safety Officer
The Onni Group is a leading real estate firm based in Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada with offices in Toronto, Los Angeles and Chicago. This diverse company is vertically integrated with in-house departments responsible for execution of the company’s activities including property development, construction and management as well as leasing, sales and marketing.
There is an exciting opportunity for a talented professional to join the construction team in Colwood, Victoria as a Construction Safety Officer. Reporting directly to the Site Superintendent and Corporate Safety Manager, this person will be responsible for on-site First Aid and general CSO responsibilities found at a construction site. Anticipated start date for this role is the start of July.
- Responsible, mature and reliable with current qualifications for Safety
- Conduct daily onsite safety inspections as required by Onni's Health & Safety Program
- Ensure contractors and sub-trades remain in compliance by maintaining their safe work practices to comply with WCB requirements and standards
- Maintain all safety records at site including submissions by trades
- Responsible for responding to on-site emergencies and communicating with management
- Provide continual inventory control for the first aid station, safety equipment and supplies
- Complete all incident reporting with follow ups when communication is required by Worksafe BC (near miss, hazards/incidents, significant incidents)
- Confident and capable to properly enforce safety program to on-site individual trades
- Continuous communication to on-site & safety management on all safety issues
- Conduct safety orientations, ensure the work place is safe for trades, and site remains in compliance to safety standards
- Submit weekly summary of site inspection reports, violations, and incidents to head office safety manager on a weekly basis
Summary of Qualifications & Requirements:
- Minimum 2 years of experience in a First Aid/CSO role particularly with fall protection/working at heights, working on large scale project with multiple sub-trades
- Current unrestricted OFA3 certification or qualified (and recognized) equivalent training
- CSO (Construction Safety Officer) certificate is preferred
- Excellent verbal and written communications skills in English
- Strong documentation capacity with the ability to meet stringent deadlines
- Able to perform well in critical high stress situations
- Ability to multi-task, supervise and give directions to additional workers when required.
- Work Conditions
- Reliable transportation means to/from work (for hours of scheduled site work)
- Available to work flexible hours in a construction site environment
- Must be physically fit for work regular work duties and capable to perform physical labour work if necessary
- Must be able to communicate well, with experience in providing safety concerns and direction to trades for compliance to safety program
Please note that we offer competitive pay, a comprehensive benefit package and programs to continuously develop and recognize employees.
All interested applicants please submit your resume and cover letter stating your salary expectations.
We thank all applicants for their interest; however only those selected for an interview will be contacted. No phone calls please.